Capsules vs Powders for joint & bone
Just to be clear, our Product of the Month is the 30 capsules version of sense* for joint & bone. But we are going to extol the benefits in this article of the superfood supplement powder too. You then have all the information at your finger tips. And to be clear, in every serving of the sense* for joint & bone superfood supplement powder you will find the same ingredients as one sense* for joint & bone supplement capsule PLUS all the targeted superfood powders on top. This is the reason why our powders are called superfood supplements!
An easy way to see the difference is by looking at the nutritional table on the back of every pack of superfood supplement powder. The supplement capsule ingredients are in black and the superfood powders in aquamarine. Put them together and you have yourself a superfood supplement.
Much better for absorption of all the nutrients into your blood stream by delivering them on a bed of superfoods. Remember…Total, Targeted, Absorption!
One thing that may make you decide on capsules rather than powders is taste. The superfood supplement powder for joint & bone is quite strong tasting. It will overpower some ingredients that you mix it with.
The taste is of banana, ginger and turmeric, all of which are active ingredients in the formula. However, we needed to make it a strong flavour because of the relatively large quantities of powerful minerals included that, frankly, taste awful.
sense* superfood supplement products are unique because we mix relevant, targeted, great tasting superfoods with (not so great tasting but highly effective) supplements. We do this so they taste great so that you can blend, sprinkle or stir these superfood supplement powders into your smoothies, yogurts or recipes.
If you are not much of a smoothie maker or you prefer toast for breakfast instead of yogurt or kefir, capsules are probably your best choice. Also if you are on the go a lot and don’t have a set routine. There is nothing worse than forgetting to take your supplements. If your capsules are in your handbag or coat pocket then you are sorted. You need to prepare powders in the kitchen, preferably your own, right?
The sense* for joint & bone ethos
How was sense* for joint & bone formulated? What improvements is it intended to achieve? These intentions came from the collaboration between our founder, Jonathan and our super expert nutritionist, Dimitra.
Our founder had played a lot of sport when younger, some of which resulted in injury. A number of broken bones from playing rugby for Northampton Saints, Rosslyn Park and London Welsh rugby teams.
Many soft tissue injuries including skiing and training for the marathon. He also has participated in c 10 triathlons and attempted to swim the English channel in a relay team of 5 others.
So he knew what he wanted to achieve and some of the ingredients to do it. Dimitra added the finesse and expertise to know which ingredients went together the best. Also which formats of each ingredient to use is massively important so the body absorbs them better. See the article on Why is Using Quality Ingredients in the right Format Required.
Not a Protein powder
Our product for joint & bone was never intended to be a protein powder. There are enough of them out there, good and bad. But that is not to say don’t take one. Particularly, if you are doing lots of exercise or training for a big event.
However, stay away from anything with lots of sugar or sweetener added. The taste is not the important thing, although there are great protein powders that use cacao as the flavouring which is a good option. As a vegan brand, we would also recommend that you buy plant proteins. Not only are they the best for your insides but also the best for the planet!
What is inflammation? Inflammation affects everyone. It is created by the body to protect against infection, injury, disease and toxins. A process using such things as antibodies, proteins and increased blood flow.
So is it a good thing? Yes it is to begin with but there are two types:
Acute inflammation – which creates redness, swelling, pain or loss of function. This is usually directed at a specific injury or illness. This allows us to both fight the problem and it lets us know that the problem is there.
Chronic inflammation – is more subtle and long term. It is caused by such things as long term use of prescription drugs, auto-immune conditions or lifestyle choices e.g smoking, alcohol, stress & obesity. It is more difficult to detect too since it shows itself as fatigue, mental fogginess, minor pain in chest or abdomen, rashes or mouth sores.
How do you treat inflammation? Well, we all know about anti-inflammatory pain killers such as aspirin, ibruprofen(nurofen) and naproxen. These are Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) used to treat acute inflammation.
In addition, chronic inflammation is treated by steroidal drugs also know as corticosteroids. These seek to suppress the immune system particularly when it is attacking healthy tissue. They also have nasty side effects when used long term including damaging the gut and stomach lining, osteoporosis and reduction of vision.
As a result many people are turning to supplements to keep inflammation in check. sense* for joint & bone is one of these supplements. As you get older then aches and pains in joints, connective tissue and muscles is common place. Much of this is due to inflammation.
However, exercise whilst beneficial overall means that the body is being tested. Inflammation arises from muscles being stretched, ligaments being worked and cartilage being put under pressure. Additional nutrition improves recovery from inflammation.
Here are a list of the anti-inflammatory ingredients in sense* for joint & bone capsules plus the additional ones in the superfood supplement powder:
Supplement Capsules – anti-inflammatory ingredients
- Boswellia (also know as Indian frankincense)
together these 2 ingredients make up about 85% of the sense* for joint & bone capsule by weight and 20% of the single serving of our superfood supplement powder
Superfood supplement powder in addition has:
- Organic Turmeric(curcumin)
Contains Tried and Tested Vitamins and Minerals
The following vitamins and minerals (supplements) are found in both sense* for joint & bone capsules and powders. The European Food Safety Authority approves health claims based on these ingredients:
- Vitamin D – Contributes to your bone maintenance. This vitamin is critical also because it helps you absorb the maximum levels of calcium, another bone strengthening substance. See also the immune system benefits below.
- Vitamin C – Helps support cartilage function by normal collagen production.
- Calcium – this mineral is key to joint & bone health: contributing to bone maintenance; supporting muscle function and has a role in the process of cell division (with 2 capsules/servings). As a result, covering both renewal of cells as well as maintenance.
- Magnesium – another joint & bone health stalwart: contributing to bone maintenance; supporting muscle function and has a role in the process of cell division. As a result, covering both renewal of cells as well as maintenance.
- Manganese – similar mineral role with some differences too: helps support cartilage function by normal formation of connective tissue; contributing to bone maintenance and supporting normal muscle function.
- Zinc – has control over 300+ enzymes so is always important. In addition, it contributes to bone maintenance and has a role in the process of cell division. As a result, covering both renewal of cells as well as maintenance.
Contains Various Anti-oxidants
Antioxidants are compounds that your body makes naturally. You can also get them from foods.
They protect your body from potentially harmful molecules known as free radicals, which can accumulate and promote oxidative stress. Unfortunately, persistent oxidative stress raises the potential risk of heart disease, cancers, type 2 diabetes and many other chronic diseases.
Fortunately, eating a diet or taking supplements rich in antioxidants can help defeat free radicals and reduce the risk of many chronic diseases.
The anti-oxidant ingredients found in the joint & bone capsules and/or superfood supplement powders:
- Organic banana
- Organic baobab
- Organic Kale
- Vitamin C
Benefits to the Immune System
Our joint and bone health starts to deteriorate more quickly as we get older. Therefore, any supplement aimed at the older generation should take the immune system into account. sense* for joint & bone does this with some real powerhouses of immunity protection included as follows:
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C may boost immunity by helping white blood cells function more effectively. Also strengthening your skin’s defence system and helping wounds heal faster. Infections such as pneumonia are more likely with low vitamin C levels. Vitamin C reduces the length of infections as Vitamin C levels increase. See HERE for full benefits.
- Vitamin D – Many people have vitamin D deficiency in Northern hemisphere countries. This is due to the main way vitamin D (which is technically a hormone) is produced. Sunlight on the skin via synthesis results in higher vitamin D levels. There are studies that show that Vitamin D protects against certain chronic disease. Including Multiple Sclerosis, heart disease and respiratory conditions such as the flu see full benefits HERE.
- Ginger – is a true superfood. Has many helpful properties including fighting infections. Particularly good against bacteria and oral infections such as gingivitis and periodontitis. Importantly, effective against respiratory disease too, which see HERE
- Selenium – Increased blood levels of selenium will enhance our immune system response as shown in studies. On the other hand, deficiency has been shown to harm immune cell function and may lead to a slower immune response, see HERE
- Zinc – A trace mineral that appears in small quantities in the body. However, it has a ubiquitous role, controlling many enzymes and other processes. Deficiency risk is much higher in older adults but changing your diet can make a difference. However, a top up is always a good idea.
Some of Our Top 20 Ingredients
Customers often ask us about the ingredients we use in our products. What are the reasons for their inclusion? To explain how some of the other individual ingredients contribute we have, in no particular order, listed the ones in our Top 20 Ingredients.
Turmeric- with its naturally active compound curcumin, turmeric is a potent polyphenol (containing curcuminoids) known for its antioxidant properties. Combined with black pepper naturally containing piperine.
Piperine improves the bio-availability of curcumin. As a result, curcumin is absorbed into your bloodstream better to be used by your body. Traditionally used in Chinese and Indian Ayurvedic medicine to treat arthritis turmeric/curcumin blocks inflammatory cytokines and enzymes.
Recent research out of Genoa University has shown that taking turmeric improved bone density by up to 7% over a 6 month period. Curcumin is the active compound in turmeric.
Cells that remove ageing parts of bone before it is replaced are balanced by curcumin. Several recent studies show that turmeric/curcumin has anti-inflammatory properties and modifies immune system responses. A 2006 study showed turmeric was more effective at preventing joint inflammation than reducing the amount of joint inflammation. Protection is better than cure!
Boswellia- or Indian frankincense reduces inflammation and reduces symptoms of arthritis (rheumatoid arthritis (RA), osteoarthritis (OA)} and bursitis symptoms. Boswellic acids – the active components – may have strong anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. They may also help prevent cartilage loss and inhibit the autoimmune process.
Rosehip- contains polyphenols and anthocyanins, which are proven to ease joint inflammation and prevent joint damage. It’s also rich in vitamin C, which has antioxidant properties.
Antioxidants are substances that can override harmful molecules (free radicals) produced within your cells. Free radicals may cause tissue damage or disease. Other studies have found that it can reduce the production of specific enzymes that break down cartilage.
Kelp has several vitamins and minerals in abundance. It is particularly rich in iodine and B vitamins, which play a crucial role in cellular metabolism. There are also many useful minerals including magnesium and calcium that play a valuable role in maintaining normal muscle function and strong bones.
Organic Baobab- this comes from a fruit generally fond in Africa and is a rich source of vitamin C, which contributes to normal: energy release, immune function, healthy, glowing skin , reduction of tiredness and fatigue. This superfruit has a delicious and sweet citrusy , sherbet-like favour which is full of nutrients. Great if you are feeling low or about to get ill.